Building an Evil Dead chainsaw

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

ILove10aflyViper

Building an Evil Dead chainsaw

Post by ILove10aflyViper »

I didn't think this would be in conflict with anything, seeing as the EvilDeadChainsaws website no longer sells these, and I know of no others that sell them neither. If this is inappropriate, I apologize and won't be offended if it is taken down. On to the topic.

I've been working on assembling an Evil Dead chainsaw out of an old Homelite Super2, in my spare time. I'm 19, and it's been a desire of mine to build one since I was 12 and first saw Army of Darkness. I'm nearly finished building the chainsaw as seen in the workshed in Evil Dead 2. I would LOVE to tackle the AOD chainsaw, but cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the curved top part of the chainsaw is! Was it a found piece, or was it created from scratch by the prop crew?? I have mostly everything else but that figured out. Any help at all is appreciated, and please feel free to post any tips, stories, insight, or pictures you may have about these awesome props.
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Re: Building an Evil Dead chainsaw

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

The lid was made by the Evil Dead II special effects crew in order to give more space inside the saw. It was never part of the original Homelite XL chainsaw. Back when I was making saws, I made one original lid which I then moulded so I could reproduce lots of identical copies in a plastic resin.
ILove10aflyViper

Post by ILove10aflyViper »

Wow! I don't have the skills to do that, but thats some great information. :)
N1ck

Post by N1ck »

I was wondering - are there any big differences between the saws at various points (e.g. the difference between the cabin saw and the medieval saw) or are they all subtle?
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

There are some differences, check out my Evil Dead Chainsaws site in the features section of the main website, that is covered on there.
nofuneral

Post by nofuneral »

hey, I'm a welder and the way i did it was quite easy (for me anyway). I made it out of regular mild steel. 14 guage worked well because it curves easy but is still very strong. I cut identical edges at work and welded the top to it. I traced and cut the lid off of the saw using an angle grinder. I was going to weld them but soon dicovered that the actual chainsaw is made of cast aluminum, not steel, so it couldn't be welded. I bought a package of cold weld from home hardware and attached it using that. The handle inside I screwed to the bottom. If it was attached to the lid piece it would break the cold weld.