Army Of Darkness 6-disc special edition (Germany)

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

Evil James
Site Admin

Army Of Darkness 6-disc special edition (Germany)

Post by Evil James »

Breaking news - a new, definitive special edition of Army Of Darkness is to be released by Koch Media on 26th April. It will be released in three different versions:

Single Disc Directors Cut DVD
Single Disc Directors Cut Blu-ray
Ultimate Edition 6-Disc-Edition

Here's a translation of Koch Media's various posts on the Cinefacts forum on the contents of the 6-disc package:

"The suggested retail price will be € 49.95. There are 2 BDs and 4 DVDs in it. Director's cut in HD / SD, U.S. theatrical version in HD / SD, Euro-theatrical version in HD / SD, U.S. TV version with alternative scenes and synchronized insults in SD / SD, Zig trailer, audio commentary, interviews with cast and crew, as well as Behind the Scenes images, a featurette about the effects, an animated tribute to the Evil Dead trilogy, Image Gallery, and probably something I still remember
Today or in the next few days first information will be available on our website."
"On the single-disc is the DC, on the 2nd BD, a BD-50, the two theatrical versions. These are 2 different samples, the U.S. version is universal, the Euro-version of MGM / Fox."
"The TV version will be present on a DVD, which is only available in SD. It contains some scenes in long version, for example learns at the beginning to know as Arthur Ash, Ash more later before the windmill and more.
In addition, and this is actually quite funny, many words were synchronized. From "I never even saw these assholes before!" was "I never even saw these eggheads before!", "Get the fuck out of my face" was to "get the hell out of my face", "You crazy bitch!" to "You crazy witch!" and so on ..."
"The director's cut will be exactly the same version as on the Hong Kong DVD, since we have the original recording of this disc from MGM can send.
The single-disc release will contain the trailer, the audio commentary and probably a picture gallery."
"The film versions have subtitles, not the audio commentary. On the packaging of 6 per package is still working around, so there are no pictures of it also. That should also be in the next 2-3 weeks so far."

http://www.cinefacts.de/Forum/221216-ar ... ost7769244

Note that this isn't some crummy bootleg (as you often see from Germany), but is fully authorised and licensed from MGM/Universal. Koch are also working on an HD release of all three Darkman films, including rare EPK interviews from the original and a better-quality version of the failed TV pilot.

Cover art for the single disc edition below:
Elise41

Re: Army Of Darkness 6-disc special edition (Germany)

Post by Elise41 »

Excellent news!! That is one monster of a release, but I'm assuming unfortunately that it won't be region free. I don't have a region free BR player, though there is supposedly a way to hack it if I acquire a specific remote control. Maybe now is the time to try...
turkishproverb

Post by turkishproverb »

Huh. This is a good temptation indeed. Wish my german were better though. Fighting through the link to figure out the features is confusing.
Elise41

Post by Elise41 »

Just thought that I'd add that there is a French release coming out in less than a week that is similar, but does not have the animated tribute, commentary (though maybe the interviews is the commentary and there are no interviews) or Sci-Fi cut included.

http://www.amazon.fr/Evil-Dead-Larm%C3% ... 334&sr=8-1
Evil James
Site Admin

Post by Evil James »

Elise41 wrote:Just thought that I'd add that there is a French release coming out in less than a week that is similar, but does not have the animated tribute, commentary (though maybe the interviews is the commentary and there are no interviews) or Sci-Fi cut included.

http://www.amazon.fr/Evil-Dead-Larm%C3% ... 334&sr=8-1
Not that I'm condoning such things, but an illegal upload of the International Cut ripped from the French BD that's just gone online says the BD has forced French subtitles that can't be switched off. This is often par for the course on French editions (my BD of Bigas Luna's Anguish, also from Filmmedia, also has forced subs) - from what I understand, the subs are optional on the German set.
Elise41

Post by Elise41 »

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know.