EvilDeadChainsaws Chainsaw Display

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

EvilDeadChainsaws Chainsaw Display

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

At the end of EvilDeadChainsaws.com, I made a little pet project out of the huge workshed display that was sitting in my workshop. I settled on the idea of moving it into the front room of my house to display my own personal cabin chainsaw, although having thought it through I came to the conclusion that having an 8ft x 8ft x 4ft deep monolith to evil dead sitting next to my sofa might be a little excessive. So I decided to convert the background into a much smaller display instead. Here is the original display;

Below are some photos showing the process I went through at each stage, how I got on, and the finished display.

This is the stripped down original display. I took everything off, then dismantled the table & base.

Until I was left with just the back wall. I then cut this back from about 8ft x 4ft down to 4ft x 3ft & touched up the paintwork.

I added some legs to it so it could be freestanding, although I might fix it up onto a wall at some point instead. The legs are slightly excessive but at least there is no chance of it falling over!

I wanted to keep as many of the little touches from the original as possible, the chains & hooks being one. I really didn't want to have an overhead bar on which to hang the lightbulb & chains so I had to put a little thought into this. The paintcan was then filled with stones to counterweight the chain handing on the pully. The pully was made from sheet plastic & some drainpipe glued together and painted up.

From the front you cannot see that the pully is attached to the paintcan and just looks like its hanging in mid air.

The lightbulb wire is threaded through a piece of brass tubing and then down the back of the display to a plug socket. The brass tube is fixed to the lid of the paintcan to hold it in place and a piece of thread runs from the bottom of the electical cable to the paintcan to hold the thick cable round at a 90 degree angle. The rope bundle on top of the paintcan helps to hide the wire & tubing.

The fully dressed display. From the front the lightbulb & wire, as the pully, seem to be suspended in mid air. I also carried over alot of the dressing from the old display although I had to move some things around, and added alot of dust, dirt & rusty bolts/nuts/screws/nails to complete the display.

The finished & lit display. The bulb & oil lamp are both lit.

A full length view of the lit display.

At the end of EDC, with the workshed display gone from the workshop, all the moulds and other related bit & pieces were boxed up & stored. EDC was an interesting experience, having made chainsaws for Evil Dead: The Musical, I don't think when I started up I could have expected to get any higher up the ladder (especially with no ED4 on the horizon!). Still sorry to see it go, but I'm looking forward to moving onto new things and I'm sure there'll be new evil dead projects from me in the future.