Fake Shemps Identified and needing Identification

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

Kloga

Fake Shemps Identified and needing Identification

Post by Kloga »

Hello there.
I'm a newcomer from Ukraine and an avid fan of Sam Raimi's Body of Work including the magnifincent Evil Dead trilogy.
One of the questions which interested me all the time is the identification of where exactley persons credited as Fake Shemps appeared in the movie.
So I decided to list all the shemps here and explain where are they. I also very interested in uncredited cameos, as well. Any help is appreciated - if someone knows something or have the ability to ask crew members or shemps themselves - I would be pleased, thankful and happy. :)
The Evil Dead (1981)
PHIL GILLIS
DOROTHY TAPERT

CHERYL GUTTRIDGE - Shelly in tomb scene and close-up of her leg being infected.
BARBARA CAREY
DAVID HORTON
WENDALL THOMAS
DON LONG
STU SMITH
KURT RAUF

TED RAIMI - legs of Scotty when he's wounded and Ash moves him through cabin.
IVAN RAIMI
BILL VINCENT
MARY BETH TAPERT
SCOTT SPIEGEL
JOHN CAMERON
JOANNE KRUSE
GEWN COCHANSKI
DEBIE JARCZEWSKI

The Evil Dead II (1987)
SID ABRAMS
JOSH BECKER - the very last knight who raises his sword before the credits.
SCOTT SPIEGEL - one of the knights (not specified)
MITCH CANTOR
ROC SANDSTORM - as far as I know it's a pseudonym used by a group of people including Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. I believe that it's the way how Raimi credited his role as the knight.
THOMAS KIDD
JENNY GRIFFITH
The Army of Darkness (1992)
SOL ABRAMS
LORRAINE AXEMAN

JOSH BECKER - peasant near the pit.
SHERI BURKE
DON CAMPBELL

CHARLIE CAMPBELL - the knight with the grey beard.
HARLEY COKELISS
KEN JEPSON
WILLIAM LUSTIG
DAVIE O'MALLEY
DAVID POLLISON

IVAN RAIMI - I don't know for sure but I noticed someone who's definently Raimi and definently not Ted (You can easy recognize them because of their eye form). But he's also can be Sam in one of his numerous cameos. I'm attaching screenshot of this guy, anyway.
BERNARD ROSE
BILL VINCENT
CHRIS WEBSTER
RON ZWANG
Evil James
Site Admin

Re: Fake Shemps Identified and needing Identification

Post by Evil James »

Great first post, and welcome to the forum Kloga!

Here's the ones I know off the top of my head:

The Evil Dead (1981)
DOROTHY TAPERT - Doubles for Deadite Cheryl as she walks around the cabin (before Ash closes the door on her hand), as does Rob Tapert
CHERYL GUTTRIDGE - Linda buried in peat moss and close-up of her leg being infected.
BARBARA CAREY - Linda as she is being put in the grave by Ash
KURT RAUF - Deadite Cheryl popping back up into frame after being shot with blood pumping out
TED RAIMI - legs of Scotty when he approaches Deadite Shelly

The Evil Dead II (1987)
SID ABRAMS - Sam's uncle. He's the bearded guy with the knights surrounding Ash at the end.

The Army of Darkness (1992)
SOL ABRAMS - Sam's uncle again, though not sure where he is in AOD.
WILLIAM LUSTIG - Seen in the background at S-Mart when Ash is talking to Ted Raimi at the end (carrying a shovel?).
BERNARD ROSE - Seen in the background of S-Mart in the last shot of the film, wearing a denim jacket and jeans.
BILL VINCENT - Sam's MSU film teacher, playing an old hooded bearded villager. Sam points him out in the commentary.

Many of the other filmmakers in the AOD list (e.g. Harley Cokliss, David O'Malley, Ron Zwang) are probably extras in the S-Mart ending - this was shot quickly with little money and they grabbed as many friends as possible to be extras.
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Evil James wrote:Great first post, and welcome to the forum Kloga!
Thanks. :)
Evil James wrote:Here's the ones I know off the top of my head:
An impressive list, great thanks!
Evil James wrote:DOROTHY TAPERT - Doubles for Deadite Cheryl as she walks around the cabin (before Ash closes the door on her hand), as does Rob Tapert
Maybe the only one which I can't identify from this list. :?
Evil James wrote:SID ABRAMS - Sam's uncle. He's the bearded guy with the knights surrounding Ash at the end.
I always thought of him as a priest but after re-watching the scene I think that it's a blackdraft of Ian Abercrombie character from Army of Darkness. :shock:
Evil James wrote:SOL ABRAMS - Sam's uncle again, though not sure where he is in AOD.
I noticed a bearded guy (screenshot attached) who's quite similar but greyed, he's even have one or two lines.
Evil James wrote:WILLIAM LUSTIG - Seen in the background at S-Mart when Ash is talking to Ted Raimi at the end (carrying a shovel?).
Amazing how I didn't spot it before (because I've searched in the medeieval crowd, I suppose). Really like him as a director and his cameos are always intersting (have you seen him as a dockworker in Darkman - it was hard to find for me but finally I spot him in the background).
I have something to add - it's a broom, not a shovel and also he may have a second apparance - there's very similar bald guy in the crowd when Arthur raises his sword to fight with Ash (who just shoots it in half), he's on the right side.
Evil James wrote:BILL VINCENT - Sam's MSU film teacher, playing an old hooded bearded villager. Sam points him out in the commentary.
Unfortunently don't have any commentary and even any good copy (using very cheap release with all the three films packed on one disk with Peter Jackson's "Braindead/Dead Alive"; that's why also sorry for those quality) of the film - hard to find treasure in our country (and I still have difficulties with using internet shops). Though I collecting all Raimi related films I can found on licensed DVD's (by now: "Grudge 2", "Drag me to Hell", "Boogeyman" and Spider-Man sequels) as well as watching all the TV broadcasts.
Anyway, Vincent is the cloaked monk-like figure behind Arthur near the pit? This man looks interesting...
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

At last, I've got a great R5 release (a used one but in a good shape and for the very good price) of The Evil Dead with all of the extras, including commentary tracks, featurettes and outtakes (it's kind of transfer of Anchor Bay Book of the dead). Wanted to do some screenshots but the off-top question was born - do they cut original 4:3 aspect ratio to achieve 16:9? :?
Evil James
Site Admin

Post by Evil James »

To answer your last question - yes, unfortunately the 16:9 version is cropped at the top and bottom compared to the 4:3 version.
Elise41

Post by Elise41 »

I believe Rob Tapert did drag when he doubled as deadite Linda as well in the first Evil Dead.
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Elise41 wrote:I believe Rob Tapert did drag when he doubled as deadite Linda as well in the first Evil Dead.
Thanks for sharing this information, but are there any evidence? Commentary tracks, interviews or something... :?
Elise41

Post by Elise41 »

Kloga wrote:
Elise41 wrote:I believe Rob Tapert did drag when he doubled as deadite Linda as well in the first Evil Dead.
Thanks for sharing this information, but are there any evidence? Commentary tracks, interviews or something... :?
I apologize but I don't remember where I believe I heard it, which is terrible because I swear it was recently that I did, but I'm probably wrong. Even though I swear I heard this. It bothers me that I can't remember where and I try to never post such things if I'm unsure. I don't know what I was thinking, I should have never posted it at all. But if it ever so happens that I find where I believe I heard this from I'll let you know.
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

You can here references to this at around 01h 08m 20s on both the Bruce Campbell and the Sam Raimi & Rob Tapert 1999 Elite US R1 audio commentary tracks, on my Book Of The Dead fandmade DVD, or somewhere around the same running time on the Elite DVD itself..
Elise41

Post by Elise41 »

I did check both commentaries earlier and only Cheryl and Dorothy are mentioned. I'm probably wrong.