Fake Shemps Identified and needing Identification

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

Kloga

Re: Fake Shemps Identified and needing Identification

Post by Kloga »

[Work in Progress, Check Later for the screengrabs from "The Evil Dead" (both Elite DVD and Russian transfer of Anchor Bay's version are failing to deliver good screenshots in Media Player Classic on first request...)]
The newest version. I've added all of the known uncredited cameos, pictures (mainly my own screengrabs - I'll be updating the post with new ones regularly) and a lot of additional information. I think I'll exclude the list from some older posts so that the thread wouldn't be so bulky.
The Evil Dead (1981)
PHIL GILLIS - I've asked Josh Becker and it turned out that Philip A. Gilles was not only the great character actor (whom you may remember from "Crimewave", "Darkman" and "Lunatics: A Love Story") but also Reneissance Pictures lawyer. No information on where he could be in the movie, though.
DOROTHY TAPERT - As Shelly agonizing on the floor as white liquid pours through the stump that was her right arm.
CHERYL GUTTRIDGE - Linda in the tomb scene and close-up of her leg being infected.
BARBARA CAREY - Linda as she is being put in the grave by Ash and when she's wounding Ash's legs.
DAVID HORTON
WENDALL THOMAS
DON LONG
STU SMITH
KURT RAUF - Deadite Cheryl popping back up into frame after being shot, with blood pumping out.
TED RAIMI - legs of Scotty as he approaches Shelly, hands of Cheryl bursting through the floor (also in the cellar shot which Bruce Campbell notes on commentary track as the mask has lenses built in the mask and not worn by actor; as Tom Sullivan museum has the esact mask of Cheryl in it marked as being worn by him on set) and Linda in some of the shots of burial sequence (the latter confirmed by Bart Pierce interview).
IVAN RAIMI
BILL VINCENT
MARY BETH TAPERT - Another sister of Robert's, Deadite Cheryl as she walks around the cabin (before Ash closes the door on her hand) and in desintegration shots, also Linda in some of the shots of Linda killing scene.
SCOTT SPIEGEL - doesn't remember where he is. Josh Becker also doesn't remember. He was only avialable for the reshoots and brought real intensities so he's probably somewhere in desintegration shots. He may be credited here as a crew memeber just because they hadn't had a lot of money for the end credits and each person should have been credited only once.
JOHN CAMERON
JOANNE KRUSE
GWEN COCHANSKI
DEBIE JARCZEWSKI
Uncredited Shemps
SAM RAIMI - appears in the movie at least 5 times: as a hitchiking fisherman, as a voice of Evil Force, as Scotty's hand in the bathroom, as Shelly in two shots when they're driving through the bridge and also he dubs Scotty when he groans as he's wounded.
ROBERT TAPERT - as Cheryl in the shots of her hands bursting through the door and grabbing Ash; as Shelly trying to reach the knife in her back, as one of dismembered Shelly's legs and also as Linda in some shots of the burial sequence.
JOSH BECKER - Cheryl in a brief shot when Ash drives them to a bridge. The scene is especially lit so as you couldn't see it's Josh with yellow towel on his head - you only see some kind of silhouette.
TOM SULLIVAN - Demon hands bursting through the bodies of Cheryl and Scotty (confirmed by Bart Pierce).
The Evil Dead II (1987)
SID ABRAMS - (Sidney Abrams, Sam Raimi's uncle) as the wiseman/monk figure in the end.
JOSH BECKER - the very last knight who raises his sword before the credits and one of the knights looking down on Ash when he first arrives in 1300 AD.
SCOTT SPIEGEL - one of the knights and the voice of Evil Ed.
Note:There is a photo on Josh Becker website, taken on the set by Paul B. Harris, which can help easily trace both him and Spiegel:
I'm yet to ask who's the third guy.
MITCH CANTOR
ROC SANDSTORM - as far as I know it's a pseudonym used by a group of people including Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. I believe that it's the way how Raimi credited his role as the knight.
THOMAS KIDD
JENNY GRIFFITH
Uncredited Shemps
TED RAIMI - one of the reasons why many people were credited as fake shemps while portraying knights is very simple. It is because they've filmed same people in different places in different shots so that a bunch of guys seemed more like an army (Becker appears two times, for example). The reason why Ted Raimi is not credited as Shemp is simple - he's credited as Posessed Henrietta and doesn't need an additional credit. Yet he still manages to appear in the movie as two different knights (due to use of this early and great "cloning technique" which worked as well as CGI variant in "The Lord of the Rings"). The first one can be seen on the horse feeling quite uncomfortable in his big helmet while the second one appears a few shots later to join Sam and the others.
SAM RAIMI - voices the screeching posessed rocking chair, of all things! :lol:
BRUCE CAMPBELL - also reportedly made some looping for Evil Ed because Spiegel's voice was a sound they've originally filmed (it may be that they haven't used that looping at all, though).
DAVID GOODMAN - Transportation captain of the movie also portrays airport worker with glasses, who greets Annie and helps her to exit the plane.
ROBERT TAPERT - airport worker who fails to open the door properly (a really funny background event).
GREGORY NICOTERO - Ash's hand after it's being cut but before Ash caught it with bucket and books. Also one of the hands of Evil Ed while he's being dismembered. And also Henrietta's Pee-Wee Head long neck version in many of the shots is his arm with head on a hand, too.
JOHN W. WALTER - movie's boom operator also doubles for Ash's hand in some of the shots and, as well, portrays Evil Ed's other hand in dismemberent scene (though this shots were probably cut from the movie).
GARY JONES - Ash's hand at some point of the movie.
The Army of Darkness (1992)
SOL ABRAMS - Sid Abrams, again, seen as one of the knights when Ash arrives and Arthur says to capture him.
LORRAINE AXEMAN
JOSH BECKER - peasant near the pit, one of the live skeletons and voice of one of the skeletons in the army led by Evil Ash.
SHERI BURKE
DON CAMPBELL - as his interview suggests, he portrays the knight who strips Ash of his chainsaw and also one of the peasants, who throws orange at captives. He's also included in some brief background shot. The only guy I've found who matches his photos as a peasant is this one in the green shirt, but he has no beard as on photo and equiped with a stick rather then a bucket. Still looks quite like him to me.
CHARLIE CAMPBELL - the knight with the grey beard.
HARLEY COKELISS
KEN JEPSON
WILLIAM LUSTIG - S-Mart customer with a broom.
I've thought that Lustig is also in the medieval crowd, but no, it seems like it's other guy:
It should be noted that Lusting and Raimi exchanged their cameos for three films. Raimi appeared for free, uncredited, in Lustig's "Maniac Cop" as a news reporter and a year later Lustig appeared in Raimi's Darkman in a credited (so it means - paid) but minor background role of dock worker (and so did Scott Spiegel). Lustig then cast Raimi in "Maniac Cop 2" as a newscaster. Here Raimi's scene was cut but this time he was paid and still received the credit. So, yet again, Lustig appeared in "Army of Darkness", shot a year later. But Raimi was unavailable for "Maniac Cop 3", so Ted steps in as a news reporter in this film.
DAVIE O'MALLEY
DAVID POLLISON
IVAN RAIMI - I don't know for sure but I've noticed a knight in the scene where everyone is looking at Ash, who's definently Raimi and definently not Ted (You can easy recognize them because of their eye form). But he's also can be Sam in one of his numerous cameos. I'm attaching screenshot of this guy, anyway. Ivan was balding at the time (very noticeable in "Darkman") and this guy looks like having a wig, by the way.
BERNARD ROSE - Director of the cult film "Candyman" (in which Ted Raimi appears in a cameo) is seen in the background of S-Mart in the last shot of the film, wearing a denim jacket and jeans.
BILL VINCENT - bearded and hooded monk figure near the Arthur who appears in many shots through the pit scene.
CHRIS WEBSTER
RON ZWANG
Uncredited Cameos
SCOTT SPIEGEL - some source say that he is in the film, on a horse. I haven't found him yet.
TED RAIMI - Portrays four characters. The only credited one is the "Cowardly Warrior", but he also portrays "You can count on my steel!" guy (by the way - what steel he means as he's not has any visible steel on him?..), knight with an eye-patch (Note: there is also similar deadite with an eyepatch, portrayed by cult favorite Bill Moseley and Ash also lost his eye in the original script) and an S-Mart clerk.
SAM RAIMI - while many people mistakenly think he's "You can count on my steel" guy, he actually has quite more hitchcockean cameo in the film. In fact three of them - a really weird knight of Henry the Red (dressed in modren clothes - sweatshirt and sneakers) who jumps wildly near the climax, the first guy in the line, who throws rock in Ash (this one is not confirmed yet but was stated a few times; also note that the black hair guy near him may be Don Campbell) and he also voices the sceletal version of Bad Ash.
Evil Dead (2013)
All four appeared in one shot at one point:
BILL VINCENT - bearded one of the "good people".
JUDAH TAPERT - Rob Tapert's son, considering his age he only can be a boy from the "good people". The kid already has a screen presence of a character actor, I must admit.
TERRI DONALDOSN - woman of the "good people".
ALAN BRESLAU - Burned one of the "good people". In fact, the guy is quite famous in New Zealand (where the movie was filmed) - he's a chemical engineer, who survived a plane crash, was greatly disfigured in the process but hadn't surrender and founded a charity foundation. There are a few links on him:
http://theinternationalpageants.blogspo ... eslau.html
http://103-14-3-6.rev.rnz.net.nz/nation ... figurement
I must admit, they're all are really good people, indeed. :)
Last edited by Kloga on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

And a few more pictures for the update... Gregory Nicotero on all of them...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Now three other pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

And a bonus one.