Gamesmaster Gore Special VCD - HD Remaster

Talk about the 1990s number 1 video game show GamesMaster.
Roareye

Re: Gamesmaster Gore Special VCD - HD Remaster

Post by Roareye »

Thanks azel, and awesome to get a response :)
Getting hammered in Spain - the rum they give is huuuuge - and having an awesome time.

I can do a Linear PCM (wav format) surround sound file much more easily if I could ask for help naming the music used in the show.
If anyone knows of/has the opening music without sound effects, that'd be great.
Also the names of music used (I know the final episode used some Killer Instinct
tracks) for features etc.
Also the names if the games/soundtracks so I can find and download the music for them.

I can then edit the dialogue separately from the music (I can gate/equalize out the music from the dialogue audio and boost it) and add higher clarity music files back in afterwards.

Another benefit is making panoramic effects, especially with the rollercoaster intro, I can affectively control the position of the flames around the minecart without confusing the music audio.
All together this will help to create a top end audio remaster.

Looking forward to sinking my teeth into the job :D

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

Looking forward for it. You did a great job on the last every episode remaster.

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Thanks Exoddus, it means a lot that you guys like the results so far :)

Just a quick update, as I know I was hoping to be uploading the episode by now. I have reviewed the rendered MP4, and other than a small stuttering glitch halfway through (Which I will remedy) it seems to have gone alright.
However in comparing the MP4 file to the remaster prior to rendering, it has lost quite a bit of detail and expanded the black levels to make some of my fine tuning obsolete and destroy some of the filmic quality the image had.
I'm thinking this may have been because the rendering process was applying all of my adjustments and then rendering down to MP4 simultaneously.

So I am saving a lossless AVI version of the file (Using the Lagarith Lossless Codec) which I can then load into Vegas Pro and down-render (hopefully) more accurately. If all else fails I can still upload the MP4 to Youtube and have the AVI available should anyone want to see it at it's best.
I'm currently rendering the first 15 minutes, I will let you know how it goes. I want to get the video right before I move onto the audio (I also only have the one workstation atm, so multitasking during a heavy rendering job isn't really wise). Nonetheless I will remaster the audio for surround sound and try to find a way to send that file to you guys. Youtube is supposed to be surround sound capable, so I can give that a try.

Bear in mind that even at MP4 quality, a downloadable file will be FAR superior to the uploaded video as Youtube always degrades the image to fit in into a smaller file.

Sorry for more delays, I'm sure you guys will find it will be worth it.

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Awesome, the Lagarith AVI looks perfect - the image looks very film-like. Certainly more HD looking than you would expect which is exactly what I was after. I cant really upload that file though, as I've only rendered 15 of the 45 minutes so far and it's 26GB.
What I'll do is convert the other 30 minutes of the episode and then figure out the best way to render down from there. Hopefully if I'm just converting a finished AVI file down, the MP4 should lose less detail and (far more importantly) not blow out the black levels and colours.

The benefits of having a lossless file is that I can do a very quick and easy transfer of the lossless file again later when more advanced video file types become available, and each improvement will give you guys more and more detail.

Bearing in mind that the finished episode would be approximately 80GB in file size, would anyone be interested in having the lossless version?

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Okay, update time before bed.
I am VERY satisfied with the AVIs of the show, they are of course lossless and not really appropriate size for distribution (All in all the show is 70.7GB in size with unremastered stereo audio in this format). However Vegas Pro likes this format a lot more than I anticipated, even going so far as to be able to play the buggers as I edit (Which is was almost incapable of doing with the original file formats I remastered).

As Vegas Pro seems happier, that makes editing the audio a lot easier. I have begun remastering in 5.1 surround sound audio, however it is VERY early days on this and it will take me a bit of time. However I am happy to report that the Atari Jaguar growls are meaty with a solid bass and, despite needing some more tweaking, the rollercoaster intro sounds pretty darn awesome too. The subwoofer channel really adds to the impact of the ride, but needs a little refining and additional surround channel control.

For those of you who do not have a surround sound system, do not fear. There IS a benefit to you with the audio remastering. Vocals will be clearer, music should have a bit more weight and stereo separation should also be superior. As it is early days, I can't really give you much of a definite outside of a much stronger bass support.

I really could do with some help with the music, however. If you guys know of the game soundtracks, and can help me with locating the files for the games played and the music used during the episode, that'd go a LONG way to improving the overall clarity of the sound. Separating vocal, effects and music is important in giving a clear audio remaster.

Is there anything you guys would like to see implemented in the final version? Please feel free to ask me ANY questions on this remastering, as I am fiddling with the audio and video of a classic TV Show - I remember there'd be hell if too much was changed on the Star Trek: Next Generation remaster and I don't want to upset any fans.