Sugar Puffs GamesMaster promotion (complete)

Talk about the 1990s number 1 video game show GamesMaster.
Exoddus

Sugar Puffs GamesMaster promotion (complete)

Post by Exoddus »

It was once acceptable to advertise food products directly to children. GamesMaster being one of the most watched television programs by children (and adults) back in the 90's, was no exception. McDonalds, Quavers crisps and Sugar Puffs to name a few, used the GamesMaster brand to advertise their product to children.

I have managed to find and purchase the complete Sugar Puffs GamesMaster promotion. Even though I had to pay a small fortune for the collection. I thought it was worth it so it could be catalogued. As some die hard GamesMaster fans may find it interesting and also because there wasn't much official GamesMaster merchandise. Considering how popular the program was at the time. Some of you may even remember the GamesMaster/Sugar Puffs promotion from back in the day!

There were 4 GamesMaster maze games in total to collect. They came free, in 3 different sized packs of Sugar Puffs. These being 625g packs, 450g packs and the smaller 368g packs.

Of course you didn't know which maze you would get until you opened the box. An aged-old scrupulous ploy to get children to beg their parents to buy boxes of Sugar Puffs. So they could complete their collection.

The 4 different GamesMaster maze games were labelled from 1 to 4.

1 = Ghost Master
2 = Jungle Master
3 = Castle Master
4 = Atomic Master

A picture of all 4 GamesMaster/Sugar Puffs maze games.

Front and back pictures of the Ghost Master maze game.

Front and back pictures of the Jungle Master maze game.

Front and back pictures of the Castle Master maze game.

Front and back pictures of the Atomic Master maze game.

On the back of each of the 3 different sized GamesMaster Sugar Puffs cereal boxes (625g, 450g and 368g) was an extra 4 games to play. 2 actual real video games chosen by “GamesMaster himself” and 2 “Honey Monster” games. See picture below:

Each extra game on the back of the cereal boxes were given a number from 1 to 4. A game listed as “NO 1” for example. Would be cut out and slotted into the corresponding maze. That being NO 1 Ghost Master. See picture below:

The extra games are as follows:

368g Pack:

NO 1 = Zool (Official video game)

NO 2 = Spy Monster (Sugar Puffs game)

NO 3 = Bubsy II (Official video game)

NO 4 = Cowboy Monster

450g Pack:

NO 1 = Space Monster (Sugar Puffs game)

NO 2 = Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck (Official video game)

NO 3 = Beach Monster (Sugar Puffs game)

NO 4 = Lemming 2 – The Tribes (Official video game}

625g Pack:

NO 1 = Micro Machines 2 (Official video game)

NO 2 = Cool Spot (Official video game)

NO 3 = Admiral Monster (Sugar Puffs game)

NO 4 = Jungle Monster (Sugar Puffs game)

Also on all 3 boxes of GamesMaster Sugar Puffs. Was a 50p discount token. This enabled you to receive 50p off the GamesMaster magazine. See pictures below:

Here are the front and back pictures of the 3 different sized GamesMaster Sugar Puffs cereal boxes. Note that the “M” on GamesMaster and the picture of the maze on the front of the boxes are textured.

368g

450g

625g

There you have it. The complete Sugar Puffs GamesMaster promotion.

azel

Re: Sugar Puffs GamesMaster promotion (complete)

Post by azel »

That is awesome, I remember these as a kid. We used to get some great stuff from cereals in those days, I seem to remember a similar thing for the Crystal Maze, not sure which cereal though.

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

azel wrote:That is awesome, I remember these as a kid. We used to get some great stuff from cereals in those days, I seem to remember a similar thing for the Crystal Maze, not sure which cereal though.
Yeah, I remember the GamesMaster mazes too (didn't remember the extra games on the back of the cereal boxes though). Although I was more of a fan of "Monster Wrestlers in My Pocket" at the time. They came free in boxes of Frosties. I can remember that because Tony the Tiger was one.

Every time I went to ASDA with my mum. I would beg her until she bought me a box of Frosties. Just so I could try and get a Monster Wrestler that I didn't have. I spoke to her about this a couple of weeks ago. She still remembers them.

I don't remember the Crystal Maze games though. Although I love Crystal Maze. I have nearly every episode in great quality. I think I'm missing 4 or 5 Edward Tudor-Pole episodes.

Pogs was another one. What kid who grew up through the 90's didn't play Pogs? Many cereal companies gave away free Pogs.

You're right though there were some really cool free stuff in cereal boxes. All targeted to get kids begging their parents to buy their brand. I'm surprised in the effort behind this GamesMaster promotion.

That reminds me. What happened to children's TV at 3 PM to 5 PM and Saturday mornings? I used to love flicking between the BBC and ITV. All there is for kids now is antique and cooking programs. At least we had programs like Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, GamesMaster etc.

SeeNoEvil
Site Admin

Post by SeeNoEvil »

Well done on collecting these together mate, I think I do remember these, although we never got Sugar Puffs that often. Usually got the multipack Variety cereals, a selection of little boxes (and you'd be left with lots of little boxes of cornflakes at the back of the cupboard!).

I've got all the episodes of the Crystal Maze, you can find it on the most popular torrent site, everything is there as far as I know. I do find some of it hard to watch now though, the sheer idiocy of some of the contestants! I remember the Mary Whitehouse Experience did a Crystal Maze sketch in which someone had to make a cup of tea, but failed, not far off the mark actually! Thinking on that, for anyone who's interested, the BBC are releasing a Brittas Empire S1-7 DVD box set in the 14th of April;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brittas-Emp ... as+emnpire

Been wanting this for a while but upto now they've only been available as separate series DVDs, and as they've been OOP for a few years now, each one was upwards of £20 each (some more).

The http://gamesmasterlive.net forums are still pretty dead, as are these too generally. Still doing Gamesmaster DVD sets from time to time, I'm doing a run at the moment so there are still new people out there finding sites like these for the first time.

One last thing, a few years back I looked up a few of the songs used in a couple of the Gamesmaster episodes but never posted it here, two montage tracks people will remember from the final ever S7 episode are contained in the Killer Instinct Killer Cuts CD released with the SNES game; 02. The Way U Move and 03. Controlling Transmission, both of which you can get here;

https://archive.org/details/Killer_Kuts -or- http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/377

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

I used to like Brittas Empire. Not watch it since the original TV airings. Can't remember too much about it to be honest.

I remember a Crystal Maze sketch on the TV show Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. The Cat from Red Dwarf was in it. I think he sang the theme tune but can't remember. Man I loved that show!

Bit of a coincidence. I actually have the Killer Instinct Killer Cuts CD. No idea where it came from but I've never listened to it. So I didn't know it was used for GamesMaster, spooky!

DynamiteHeaddy

Post by DynamiteHeaddy »

Unreal memories of playing those as a kid.

I am amazed you were able to find and scan Sugar Puffs packets from twenty years ago!