GamesMaster HD: 4K Restoration

Talk about the 1990s number 1 video game show GamesMaster.
Roareye

Re: GamesMaster HD: 4K Restoration

Post by Roareye »

Exoddus wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:19 pm
Looks great. Shame the source material isn't great. Considering GamesMaster was one of channel 4's top 10 programs at the time and it had millions of viewers every week and lasted 7 series. It's a real shame the episodes never had a DVD release.
Actually this episode is from the official DVD release of the final ever episode (It wasn't sold in store separately, it was done as a freebie on an episode of GamesMaster magazine). But it's true that outside of this episode there are no official DVD releases. That being said, there's only so much this restoration can do but it certainly achieves a lot more than other restorations, as I do these restorations frame by frame as still images. Each cut is in it's own folder, and I have 360 folders. Sequentially I'm processing folder 90 atm, so a long ways off, but there are several I did out of sequence that should see me leap forward a bit faster. And the number of frames in each folder also dictate the length of the restoration. If there's 10 seconds of video in one cut, that's 250 still images to process (25 per second). Dominic's opening monologue runs to nearly 2000 still images, his second one was nearly 700 etc, but the montage sequences are roughly a second long each so I can blitz through each of these fairly quickly (About an hour work per second of footage I think).
Exoddus wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:19 pm
With how popular Netflix, BBC iplayer, Amazon Prime video etc is. Surly they could now release them to an online digital platform? They clearly didn't want to produce a physical GamesMaster release but why not digital? I mean, I can watch every episode of The Hurricanes for free on STV online but there's no official way to watch Gamesmaster!
This is a very good question. Physical copies include massive up-front costs that you have to hope you recoup. Digital releases have much less costs involved. There will be some, though. To my knowledge the only episodes with a BBFC certification are the final episode and the Gore Special, as these are the only episodes to get official releases (DVD for the final episode, VCD and VHS for the Gore Special) and by UK law you must have a BBFC certificate (The age rating - U, PG, 12, 15, 18) in order to sell your video product. The costs for this are cheaper if you're not making a physical release, but they're still there. This costs a flat rate plus costs per minute of footage. For a TV Show, that's a lot of time.

GamesMaster has approximately 3276 minutes of runtime across all seasons. To get these rated for streaming services ONLY would cost £12,100.52 (For reference, the cost for the same licence and with no extras on DVD/Blu-Ray would be £28,445.78 - The BBFC charge more just for the privilege of releasing on disc for the same content. Extras cost more time, so would have to be an additional cost)
Then as the show is considered niche and it's standard definition only, you have to hope that someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime would see enough value in an outdated and VHS quality show to pay at least £14,000 just to break even on costs.

The easier way to do it would be to break down seasons, maybe.
Season 1 was 10 episodes (Approximately 260 minutes) so the BBFC would charge £989.58 to rate it for streaming (£2122.34 for a DVD/Blu-Ray release). That's a far easier cost to recoup. If the licence holders want to try and get more money for the property then a restoration would be best, and currently mine is the only one with a high degree of success. But restoring the show takes time, and would therefore cost (It would effectively have to be a full time job for me, lucky my costs are relatively low) and that cost would have to be included in the price paid by Netflix/Amazon etc in order for a company to recoup a profit.

Here's my breakdown of BBFC costs across the seasons;
SEASON 1: 10 Episodes / 260 minutes = £990
SEASON 2: 26 Episodes / 676 minutes = £2522.12
SEASON 3: 26 Episodes / 676 minutes = £2522.12
SEASON 4: 18 Episodes / 468 minutes = £1755.85
SEASON 5: 18 Episodes / 468 minutes = £1755.85
SEASON 6: 18 Episodes / 468 minutes = £1755.85
SEASON 7: 10 Episodes / 260 minutes = £990
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL : 126 Episodes / 3276 minutes = £12,100.52

Season 1 and 7 are relatively easy. Raising funds of £1000 for a major publishing house isn't too difficult, and it's very possible they may get £1000 in streaming rights if not immediately than over years of renewed contracts. It would be interesting if they attempted this as a litmus test to see if there is any continued mainstream interest in the franchise in the streaming realm. Either Season 1 or 7 would do the job, with Season 7 arguably granting more interest as it has the best of clips in the final episode, giving audiences a taste of what they've missed and drive interest in prior seasons. Hell, the final episode was already BBFC rated (and DVD ratings are automatically applied to streaming for free), so they could even just upload that and the Gore Special at ZERO cost (unless they wanted them restored of course).

Sadly a lot of studios/publishing companies see sales as an "all-or-nothing" game. Why release only a few episodes, is the question, but likewise fans would be happier with something rather than nothing. I don't even know who holds the rights now. Last I heard Hewland sold the rights to Future Publishing but I don't know where they may have gone from there.

I also just want to make it clear the BBFC is a legal requirement in the UK, but in mainland Europe there's a different governing body for film ratings (FSK I think) which would be required in that market, though oddly the most expensive one is in America where it is only advisory and not a legal requirement.

Sorry for the long math download haha, but these are the real costs of streaming. Much much lower than physical production but costs are still existent because most TV shows of the 90s didn't get ratings unless they had immediate VHS releases.

Exoddus

Re: GamesMaster HD: 4K Restorationy

Post by Exoddus »

Very interesting. I totally forgot about the last ever episode being put on DVD. Even though I have Gamesmaster magazine issue 133 which the DVD came with lol.

Assuming your math is correct (I doubt your far off) £12000 for 3276 minutes of nostalgic, gaming history would be well worth it. I think it would do well on Netflix. Especially since the episodes would have much better sound and picture quality that we currently have access to.

Someone has the episodes in all their glory in a vault somewhere. Hopefully, whoever owns the rights (Future Publishing I think). Will some day get in contact with a company like Netflix.

Even if say, series 1 had a trial run on Netflix for a 3 month period. At least give it a chance. Then if adding the other series don't work out to be economically viable. At least us fans could then hold our hands in the air and know we'll never get to watch Gamesmaster in all its glory.

Roareye

Re: GamesMaster HD: 4K Restorationy

Post by Roareye »

Exoddus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:38 pm
Assuming your math is correct (I doubt your far off) £12000 for 3276 minutes of nostalgic, gaming history would be well worth it. I think it would do well on Netflix. Especially since the episodes would have much better sound and picture quality that we currently have access to.
You can always check my maths using the BBFC website (I have to do this for the distribution side of my film business) here: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/industry-services/fee-calculator

It sounds worth it to us, as fans. Here we're defo preaching to the choir. However it's Future Publishing that need to be convinced that they'd get a sizable return on investment for ponying up £12k plus any fees for tape re-scans (There's no guarantee all the original tapes were digitised, it's likely only episode 10 of season 7 was). Perhaps a campaign to Netflix? If they see enough demand, they'll likely contact Future Publishing with an offer. Netflix likely won't bother until there's a proven viewer-base, and sadly it seems Future Publishing is doing the same. It's frustrating because they reshowed the episodes on Challenge TV, which means they obviously saw that someone was interested in watching. Or perhaps that was before it was sold to Future.
Even if say, series 1 had a trial run on Netflix for a 3 month period. At least give it a chance. Then if adding the other series don't work out to be economically viable. At least us fans could then hold our hands in the air and know we'll never get to watch Gamesmaster in all its glory.
I think a small trial is a good idea. However I stick to what I said above. It will require a large fan sway to get this back anywhere, including streaming. It might have had more luck if GamesMaster magazine was still running, but that's been killed off too, so cross-media pollination is out. They (Read: Future Publishing and/or Netflix) will require a massive shove into putting any effort into this. I'm open to ideas.

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

It's frustrating because they reshowed the episodes on Challenge TV, which means they obviously saw that someone was interested in watching. Or perhaps that was before it was sold to Future.
That could be seen as discouraging too. As if the reshowing of series 1 was successful on Challenge TV. One would assume the other series would have followed.

Hopefully the reason the other series didn't follow was because of a dispute between who ever owned the rights at the time and Challenge TV, over money.

It would be worth emailing Future Publishing asking them if they've ever considered putting Gamesmaster out on a steaming platform? Maybe they already tried and failed?

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Let us know what they say dude :)

I've been at this almost non-stop for several days, now finishing 134 of 360 folders of frames. Several shots have had some major upticks in quality though, so worth it.

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

UpscalePrev0001.jpg
UpscalePrev0001.jpg (617.14 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Just another preview from some of the newer frames rendered. This is a close up of the 4K Dominik Diamond announcing the success of the Virtua Fighter Tetsujin taking the 100 victories in a row. And below is the full frame at Full HD.
UpscalePrev0001ff.jpg
UpscalePrev0001ff.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2595 times
I've done some math over the last several days. Figured alone, at full time, I get approximately (usually just over) 30 seconds a day completed.
At this rate it would take a single person 9 weeks to do the first stage of this restoration process, then another week to resolve everything so you're looking at an episode every 10 weeks of full time work (9 hours a day approx).

Becomes much more viable with more people involved (2 people would reduce it to an episode every 5 weeks, 3 to an episode every 3 approx etc.) but since it is currently just me... well you can see how much effort has gone into this project haha :p

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

The Cyber Razor Cut advert has now been released, restored by myself, via my Cyber Reviews series. Video down below.
I'm waiting to replace the game footage in the advert with newly recorded footage as the quality remaining is the best it's going to get. The video explains that. Once the gameplay footage is replaced I'll upload the ad on it's own in 4K.

Here's a picture of the quality boost afforded to the original 480p Vimeo download, note the detail of the face, eyebrows, hair and skin textures;
Compareimg1.jpg
Compareimg1.jpg (4.71 MiB) Viewed 2581 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlNqRIkeco

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Done a redesign of the GamesMaster page on my website. I don't know what I'll do with the info (either leave them as anchorpoints on the page or separate them into their own pages, still concepting that), however the main page is now a fully interactive and adaptable GamesMaster Magazine cover (based on issues 1 to 9, mostly issues 1 and 5). The background is an artwork I had made for Blu-Ray menus in 2012 (!) and I have an alternate one for Season 7's beach scene should I fancy changing it up a bit later.

Here's a preview image of the page, and below is a link for you to visit and check it in action. Please let me know what you think. The Forum buttons links to this forum, should hopefully help cross-connect some fans between here and my Facebook GamesMaster HD page.
MagCoverPreview.jpg
MagCoverPreview.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2615 times
https://www.cyberpunkstudios.co.uk/gamesmaster

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

GamesMaster Test Video! First half of the episode.

Please be kind. I'm putting this out there for glitches, errors, opinions on black levels and whether to restore or just upscale game footage.
This is so the final episode can look it's very best. Looking forward to feedback ^_^

Roareye

Post by Roareye »

Any views on the video, guys?