Prove you're a true retro gamer with a story

Talk about all things related to past retro consoles, Atari, SNK, Sinclair, Commodore etc.
Exoddus

Prove you're a true retro gamer with a story

Post by Exoddus »

Was on holiday with my 3 brothers, sister and parents. This would have been around 1993.

Went into an arcade playing all kind of games. This was the first time I actually saw my dad play a game (I've only ever seen him play two video games in my entire life). Him being born in the 50's he was a huge fan of cowboy films especially John Wayne. The game was Mad Dog McCree. He must have spent £20 on it. Standing there with a plastic gun. Shooting bad guys off roofs. He thought he was fucking Clint Eastwood or something :lol:

Anyway I saw a Street Fighter II cabinet. I was with one of my younger brothers (he was like 4-5 years old). I wanted him to play it with me. I would always pick Dhalsim for some reason. He didn't want to go near the cabinet as it had a huge picture of Blanka down the side with an evil looking face. He was scared of it. I convinced him to go over and play it with me. As we went over Blanka was on the demo play. He beat Ryu I think and then did his winning pose. The one where he stands up and screams. Being in the arcade the scream was mega loud. My brother legged it and ran back to my mum crying. I got told off for scaring him :lol:.

Scary to think that was pretty much 20 years ago.....

azel

Re: Prove you're a true retro gamer with a story

Post by azel »

I remember getting an original Game Boy for Christmas '92, my dad has never been a gamer but used to play Tetris on it. There was a cheat where if you held down on the D-pad when you selected your game (I think), it made the drops about 5 times faster right from the start. I did this and then gave it to my dad (he didn't know about this cheat) and the look on his face was priceless! He got wiped out in seconds and I was laughing like mad, good times!

Cyber-Hazuki

Post by Cyber-Hazuki »

When I was about 3 or 4 I used to go to a local bar/restaurant with my parents for sunday dinner and they had Pac Man and Space Invaders arcade cabinets which I played after we ate, but because I was so small I used to stand on a bar stool to play.

Apparently punters where so impressed/shocked watching me play that I'd get a small crowd gathering who would stick 10p's in to keep me going, sadly I don't have any memory of this but my folks swear this happened most weekends we went :lol:

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

:lol: :lol: Great stories, made me laugh.

This is my oldest gaming memory. We were are Toy's R Us (anyone else used to love riding the bikes around the store?). We just recently bought a Sega Master System and only had the built in Alex Kidd in Miracle World game. This would have been about 1991. My mother told us we could buy one game between me and my twin brother. I think our birthday was coming up. S

Toy's R Us used to have the artwork behind a plastic shield. So after looking at all the different artworks. I liked the bats on Ghost House and my brother liked Kung Fu Kid. We had to share everything and it was my turn to pick this time. So we went with my choice of Ghost House.

My brother was upset and I guess my mother felt sorry for him. So we went back in Toy's R Us and she bought Kung Fu Kid. So we ended up with two games in the end.

I still have both cartridges to this day! :shock:

K1ngarth3r

Post by K1ngarth3r »

Great stories guys... Love the clint eastwood - Mad Dog story!!

That is one of my top 10 games for sure!!