Consoles etc. you grew up with (Your own recollection)

Talk about all things related to past retro consoles, Atari, SNK, Sinclair, Commodore etc.
Moondog

Consoles etc. you grew up with (Your own recollection)

Post by Moondog »

tell everyone a little about your gaming history.

my gaming started when i was about 3, my dad had an Atari 2600 and i think me and my sister used to play but but i can't remember. my true gaming started when i was about 5, playing Pong on my cousin's Pong Console (around 1986).

then my cousin got a ZX Specturm +2 (the one with the tape deck buit in) for christmas 1987, i used to sleep over at his alot and we used to constantly play the Specturm, especially games like Dizzy and Auf Wiedersehen Monty, those were my faves.

November 1991, my dad bought a Megadrive with Sonic 1 and Castle of Illusion, the first time me and my sister played Sonic 1 we were blown away, after that my dad went on to buy around a total of 52 Megadrive games lol, he used to buy maybe one a month since he was in the Royal Marines. We had even more games in the house than that once i got my own Megadrive II for christmas 1994.

eventually i got a PS1 for christmas 1997 and have had Playstations ever since, favourite games ove the years have been the Final Fantasys, GTAs, Hitman Series, Tomb Raider Series, Metal Gear Solid Series, and many many other great games.

currently have a 160GB slim PS3 (the brand new K Chassis model) and a DS Lite, as well as my retro consoles - PS1, PS2, GBA SP, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.

SeeNoEvil
Site Admin

Re: Consoles etc. you grew up with (Your own recollection)

Post by SeeNoEvil »

Being 29 now, I was very much of the tail end of the Atari 2600 & Spectrum ZX (which my brother owned) but I did buy a Vic 20, a Amstrad CPC 464+, a Master System, a SNES and a Playstation 1 as they all came out. I can remember saving up and buying the newly released SNES package (with FX chip!!) which came with Starwing for the vast price of £129.99(!)

About a year or so back I went on a nostalgia trip and bought myself a SNES and a PS1, with many of the games I remembered. Surprisingly, the PS1 cost me the princely sum of £14.88 on Ebay including 2 controllers, 14 games, and postage, what a bargain! I did have to buy some of the games I really wanted, separately though;
  • Evil Dead: Hail To The King
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Grand Theft Auto - London
  • Gran Turismo
  • Loaded
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  • Soviet Strike
Tekken 2, Grand Theft Auto, and Loaded are on my 'to buy' list, to get at some point too.

The SNES was more expensive than the PS1 as now it has become something of a collectors item. I decided to go the extra mile and customise a proper metal flight case for it as well (see attached image). Here are all the games I have for it;
  • Addams Family
  • Addams Family 2: Pugleys Scavenger Hunt
  • Addams Family Values
  • Alien 3
  • Another World
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Ghoul Patrol
  • Flashback
  • Killer Instinct
  • Lost Vikings
  • Mr Nutz
  • Push Over
  • Sim City
  • Super Mario World/All Stars
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter 2 Turbo
  • Zelda: Link To The Past
  • Zombie Ate My Neighbours
I also got a Super Game Boy allowing me to play Game Boy Games on my SNES, and bought two games on the strength of their SNES counterparts; Zelda: Links Awakening (brilliant) and Metroid II (pretty poor). Super Metroid and Zelda: Link To The Past have to be my all time favourite games. I'm sure many would disagree, but I've always been of the opinion that either of them would whip most next-gen games hands down in terms of playability.
Attachments
Snes Kit (Reduced Size).jpg
Snes Kit (Reduced Size).jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 5153 times