Bought a new SNES and 14 games

Just bought yourself something new? Have a secret collection of gaming stuff that you are just itching to boast about? Post it here!
Moondog

Bought a new SNES and 14 games

Post by Moondog »

just ordered a SNES off of ebay, £60 in great condition, with Starwing.

also went on to buy a second pad and most of the games i wanted, some off ebay and some from a local independent store that has some retro stuff.

Donkey Kong Country
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose
Mario All Stars + Super Mario World
Street Racer
Equinox
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
Pilotwings

got most of my stuff now, just waiting on my SNES, 2nd pad, and Super Star Wars.

SeeNoEvil
Site Admin

Re: Bought a new SNES and 14 games

Post by SeeNoEvil »

Nice that you got some of the most (now) expensive games in there too. I know when I was buying SNES games a year or two back, I know I paid a little more for stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, and Super Return of the Jedi. I think Zelda - Link to the past was £7.99, and Super Metroid was £8.50, two of the most expensive, which doesn't sound much but when you have a list of 20 games to get, it all adds up!

Just checked on Ebay and there are a few Super Metroid (Cart Only) all going for over £20!

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

That's really cool. I don't or have never owned a NES or a SNES. I think it's too late for me now.

Having 3 brothers and a sister we never had much money growing up. Still, we had a Master System and a Mega Drive with a shit load of games. The rich kids in school had both the Sega and Nintendo consoles.

My dad used to get the trade-it paper. I and my brothers would look through it looking for bargains. I still remember driving out at night with my dad to pick up Earth Worm Jim. It wasn't long out and the guy only wanted like £8 for it. Was about 8 years old at the time.

What are the 10 "must play" games on the NES and SNES? I'll try some out on an emulator.

azel

Post by azel »

10 SNES games I would recommend- Yoshi's Island, Shadowrun, Mortal Kombat 2, Super Metroid, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Zelda Link to the Past, Starwing, ISS Deluxe.

SeeNoEvil
Site Admin

Post by SeeNoEvil »

My top ten would be the obvious big ones;

Addams Family
Addams Family 2: Pugleys Scavenger Hunt
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Flashback
Super Mario World/All Stars
Super Metroid
The Chaos Engine
Zelda: Link To The Past
Zombie Ate My Neighbours

Being 32 now, I was very much of the tail end of the Atari 2600 & Spectrum ZX (which my brother owned) but I did buy a Vic 20, a Amstrad CPC 464+, a Master System, a SNES and a Playstation 1 as they all came out. I can remember saving up and buying the newly released SNES package (with FX chip!!) which came with Starwing for the vast price of £129.99(!)

About two years back I went on a nostalgia trip and bought myself a SNES and a PS1, with many of the games I remembered. Surprisingly, the PS1 cost me the princely sum of £14.88 on Ebay including 2 controllers, 14 games, and postage, what a bargain! I did have to buy some of the games I really wanted, separately though;
  • Evil Dead: Hail To The King
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Loaded
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Soviet Strike
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil - Director's Cut
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  • Tekken 2
The SNES was more expensive than the PS1 as now it has become something of a collectors item. I decided to go the extra mile and customise a proper metal flight case for it as well (see attached image). Here are all the games I have for it;
  • Addams Family
  • Addams Family 2: Pugleys Scavenger Hunt
  • Addams Family Values
  • Alien 3
  • Another World
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Flashback
  • Ghoul Patrol
  • Killer Instinct
  • Lemmings
  • Lemmings 2
  • Lost Vikings
  • Mr Nutz
  • Pushover
  • Sim City
  • Starwing
  • Super Mario World/All Stars
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Star Wars
  • Super Empire Strikes Back
  • Super Return Of The Jedi
  • Street Fighter 2 Turbo
  • The Chaos Engine
  • Zelda: Link To The Past
  • Zombie Ate My Neighbours
I also got a Super Game Boy allowing me to play Game Boy Games on my SNES, and bought two games on the strength of their SNES counterparts; Zelda: Links Awakening (brilliant) and Metroid II (pretty poor). Super Metroid and Zelda: Link To The Past have to be my all time favourite games. I'm sure many would disagree, but I've always been of the opinion that either of them would whip most next-gen games hands down in terms of playability.
Attachments
PICT6967.JPG
PICT6967.JPG (137.37 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
PICT5506.JPG
PICT5506.JPG (218.32 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
Snes Kit (Reduced Size).jpg
Snes Kit (Reduced Size).jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 8955 times

Moondog

Post by Moondog »

SeeNoEvil wrote:Nice that you got some of the most (now) expensive games in there too. I know when I was buying SNES games a year or two back, I know I paid a little more for stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, Super Star Wars, Super Empire Strikes Back, and Super Return of the Jedi. I think Zelda - Link to the past was £7.99, and Super Metroid was £8.50, two of the most expensive, which doesn't sound much but when you have a list of 20 games to get, it all adds up!

Just checked on Ebay and there are a few Super Metroid (Cart Only) all going for over £20!
yep i paid £30 (total) for Super Metroid, that was the dearest game, the rest were all between £5 and £15, altogether though i spent around £200 on the SNES, 2nd pad and games, not too bad really when i spent £150 on 1 game for the Saturn a few months ago (Panzer Dragoon Saga) lol.

@Exoddus - i'd say my top recommendations for NES and SNES would be:

SNES

Donkey Kong Country 1,2 & 3
Super Mario World
Starwing
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Mario Kart
Mario All Stars
Chrono Trigger
Killer Instinct
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
Super Metroid
Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose

NES

Gremlins 2: The New Batch
New Ghostbusters 2
Super Mario Brothers 1,2 & 3
Fire 'N' Ice
Duck Tales 1&2
Castlevania 1,2 & 3
Totally Rad
TMNT 1, 2 & 3

(i haven't played many NES games)

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

As were all in here. I thought I'd post this in here.

Any of you guys planning on buying the special or collectors edition of GTA V? Game.co.uk are the only retailer in the UK selling the special edition. If you are planning on doing so. Enter code REDHOT513 to get £5 off. Be quick guys there's' only like a day left on the discount code.

Back on topic. I own a Mega Drive with around 80 games. Been buying them at carboot sales for like 50p-£1 each. I have two Mega Drive consoles. Both bought from carboot sales and both working. I bought a Master System converter for the Mega Drive 1. As I've got about 20 Master System games I think. Some of the Mega Drive games are complete, some come with the box and most are cartridge only. I'm not a collector as gaming in general isn't one of my main hobbies (I still love and always will love all aspects of gaming). So I'm happy picking up the odd cartridge here and there just to play.

Used to have a decent PS1 collection but sold most the expensive ones off to fund my other hobbies. Used to have Castlevania Symphony of the Night limited edition, Star Ocean, Herc's Adventure and other rare ones which I can't even remember anymore. Still got like 40 or so. Some pretty decent but I've not looked through them for a long time.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will check them out!

Moondog

Post by Moondog »

got my SNES today, decent condition. :D

at first i didn't think it was working properly, cos only some of my games worked, but it was just typical Nintendo and blowing the dust out the carts did the trick lol :lol:

Exoddus

Post by Exoddus »

Moondog wrote:got my SNES today, decent condition. :D

at first i didn't think it was working properly, cos only some of my games worked, but it was just typical Nintendo and blowing the dust out the carts did the trick lol :lol:
I'm glad it arrived in good condition for you. I bet you're feeling like a kid in a sweet shop :lol:.

I had a bug a couple of months ago with a Sega Master System cartridge. Kung Fu Kid. Every time I got hit once. I would lose all my health and die. After the 3rd reset and playing for a little bit. It started working properly again. It happens sometimes when a cartridge hasn't been used in awhile. Once a little bit of electricity runs though them. They seem to work ok after that.

SeeNoEvil
Site Admin

Post by SeeNoEvil »

Oh, one problem you might run into, is one I had. Any game with a battery backup has a coin-cell battery inside (obviously). I had a few carts which just kept loosing my savegames, and found out it was because the battery was flat. Opening the cart and replacing the battery isn't too hard though, you'll need the right screwdriver bit, spare batteries and a soldering iron. There are plenty of online guides to walk you through it.