Toys 'R' Us

Kick back and talk about anything you want with other members.
Exoddus

Toys 'R' Us

Post by Exoddus »

On the 28th of Feb Toys 'R' Us went into administration.

I remember being 6 years old back in 1993 and my mother took us to a Toys 'R' Us store. We would take it in turns to have a "big present". This particular day it was my turn. After looking around the entire shop. I decided I wanted Ghost House on the Master System. My mother took the little slip of paper (Ghost House artwork) to the counter and she bought it for me. It was the first ever video game I had picked out/bought.

My twin brother started crying afterwards because he wanted Kung Fu Kid. My mother gave in so we left with both Ghost House and Kung Fu Kid for the Master System.

There was also a competition from Renegade Software. 20 people with the right answer would win a selection of games. I remember that I knew the answer (can't remember the question anymore!) so my mother filled out the questionnaire. We never won though :cry: lol.

When money was tight and it was a rainy day. My mother would take me, my 3 brothers and sister to Toys 'R' Us. We didn't often buy things but would just play with the toys and ride around the shop on the bikes and go karts they had. It was a great day out.

Actually one of the very last times we ever saw our grandfather before he died. We visited him and he gave us all like £3 each to spend in Toys 'R' Us as we were on our way there. We all put our money together and bought Toy Story on VHS not long after it had came out back in 1996.

I needed a new pair of trainers. Across the car park from Sports Direct here in Bristol is a Toys 'R' Us store. So I went in there and took some pictures. I have many happy memories of Toys 'R' Us so it's really sad to watch them slowly go under.

I always loved the Toys 'R' US jingle. When it would start coming on TV in November you knew Christmas was just around the corner.

azel

Re: Toys 'R' Us

Post by azel »

I love that jingle, there was never a store near to me so I've never been in one but seeing those adverts when I was a kid made me think it was the most amazing place on earth. It will be sadly missed :|

Exoddus

Re: Toys 'R' Us

Post by Exoddus »

That's a shame you never got to visit one. It was truly a magical place for a kid. It was announced two days ago that every single Toys R US store in the USA will close and that all Toys R US stores in Britain will close within the next 6 weeks.

They have gone the way Woolworths did. :(