Relation between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

ezzetabi

Relation between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II

Post by ezzetabi »

I always thought that Evil Dead II were a remake of Evil Dead, but reading around I noticed there are other opinions... A good one was that actually both movies are about Ash describing his adventures at S-Mart and the differences are explained by the fact he is a little insane after all those events and the memories are fuzzy.

What's your opinion? What do you think is the relation between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II?
Kloga

Re: Relation between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II

Post by Kloga »

ezzetabi wrote:I always thought that Evil Dead II were a remake of Evil Dead, but reading around I noticed there are other opinions... A good one was that actually both movies are about Ash describing his adventures at S-Mart and the differences are explained by the fact he is a little insane after all those events and the memories are fuzzy.
What's your opinion? What do you think is the relation between Evil Dead and Evil Dead II?
Ash re-telling is an interesting theory, never thought about that one.
I have thought about continuity problems in all of the four movies and it can be quite easily solved if you think about shared continuum as a system of parallel universe, or one universe, that was inexpectedly changed multiple times. As there were numerous reality-warping factors and time travels in the continuity, shared universe can still feature factors from various collapsed tangent universes... :?
Movie "Donnie Darko", one of my 25 favorite movies, has the same kind of continuity, as well as featuring original The Evil Dead playing on the movie screen. If we think that The Evil Dead continuity is somewhat similar we can even consider both endings of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness (and both of "Army" too - three of them) legitimate - they're just were in different continuities. It's quite possible that Ash can remeber both of those and that's why he's somewhat unstable... :)