Army of Darkness UK DVDs

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

MJsnappers

Army of Darkness UK DVDs

Post by MJsnappers »

OK, so I've just been reading this websites page on the 4 different official releases of Army of Darkness and saw they were the 81 min US release, the two 88 min versions, and the 96 minute directors cut. Now I live in the UK and own two different DVDs of this film: the 2003 trilogy boxset and a 2008 release (which after comparing the two, the latter is just a remastered version of the former while adding back in the shot of Evil Ash ripping off Shiela's dress).

But here's the thing, BOTH DVDS ARE 92 MINUTES LONG (including credits)! Now I initially assumed this was because they were the 88 min international cuts only featuring the apocalypse ending instead of the S-mart ending, but that can't be right because the 2003 DVD lists it as the 'directors cut'. Even Bruce Campbell refers to it as the 96 minute directors cut near the end of the commentary track (which is identical on both DVDs) even though I apparently am missing 4 minutes of the film.

So whats the deal? If anyone has the answers, I'd greatly appreciate it.
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Re: Army of Darkness UK DVDs

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

It will be down to the PAL/NTSC speed-up during the conversion process. NTSC DVDs will play at 23.976fps, PAL at 25fps, so the same film in the UK will be around 4% shorter than in the US.
MJsnappers

Re: Army of Darkness UK DVDs

Post by MJsnappers »

Oh I see! So the UK DVDs are a slightly sped up versions of the Director's Cut! That makes sense. Thank you!