EDII: TV Cut- Response from Uploader About "Missing Part"

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

The Aluminum Falcon

EDII: TV Cut- Response from Uploader About "Missing Part"

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

I'd like to thank the owners of this site for posting information about the TV cut. It's really an interesting alternative version to the regular cut and the extra footage is just wonderful to see. I never dreamed I'd actually see the TV cut talked about in Bruce Campbell's book: If Chins Could Kill. I honestly never knew about it before and it's a shame that it doesn't seem to exist in English.

Anyway, I decided to send a message to the uploader asking about the seemingly missing 10 minute chunk, and, surpirsingly enough, I got a very nice response from him/her (in Spanish):
Re:EL DESPERTAR DEL DIABLO: Gracias Pero Falta Una Parte?
To:AluminumFalcon1977

Tu español es bueno.

Disculpa AluminiumFalcon1977.

La version en español esta cortada, asi fue transmitida en la tv mexicana, solo poseo la version complata en ingles.

Gracias por tu atencion.

drwhoreturns
For non-Spanish speakers, here is a translation by Google:
Re: THE AWAKENING OF THE DEVIL: Thanks But Missing A Part?
To: AluminumFalcon1977

Your Spanish is good.

Sorry AluminiumFalcon1977.

The Spanish version is cut, so the TV was broadcast in Mexico, only own the full version in English.

Thank you for your attention.

drwhoreturns
He/she's claiming that the part was actually cut for the TV Cut and this isn't an uploading error. It's odd such a big chunk would be cut. The article on this site speculated otherwise. Does anyone have any thoughts about this new information?
The Aluminum Falcon

Re: EDII: TV Cut- Response from Uploader About "Missing Part

Sorry for the double post, but the uploader of the TV cut just made a further upload of the scenes cut from the TV version. The video is sourced from the DVD. It's clear he's aware that the TV version is missing a big chunk and it's not an uploading error.

You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sQMXjp ... AAAAAAACAA
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

Thanks for that, well spotted! Yes it would appear that the jump-cut in the TV version is actually just that, rather than a missing section by the uploader, and I we made a mistake in saying so on the TV version page. The caption on that YouTube clip translates as;

EVIL DEAD 2 deleted scenes from the TV version (Spanish subtitles)
These scenes are dubbed in Spanish Latin.

I'll look at updating the Evil Dead II TV Version page. I've already asked the uploader about getting a better quality version or even borrowing his VHS tape to do a transfer myself, but no no avail. Sent it in Spanish & English but no reply? A real shame as I've never seen this version anywhere else. That would make an excellent alternate DVD version! This site's webmasters (James & I/Rob) are already thinking about a follow up DVD to the Book Of The Dead DVD completed a month or two back containing rare Evil Dead II material.
Evil James
Site Admin

Post by Evil James »

Hello everyone,

This is the writer of the article here, throwing in my two bits...

I hate to be stubborn, but I absolutely refuse to believe the "jump-cut" is anything other than an uploader error, no matter what the guy says. All the evidence (above all else the abruptness of the cut and the fact that nearly 10 mins from the theatrical cut takes place in the missing section) contradicts him. Perhaps his VCR crapped out at that point and he's forgotten about it in the decade since, or maybe he made a mistake and doesn't want to admit it. Either way, I suppose we won't know until another copy surfaces, but don't rush to believe "drwhoreturns" just because he has the only copy we know about.

Rob, please don't edit the article just yet.

EDIT: Also, if you read his reply again (or, to stress the point, the potentially flawed Google translation of it) it's still quite ambiguous to whether he is confirming the ten-minute section is missing in the actual version, or if he's just uploading (part of) the missing section from the theatrical to bridge the gap for those who'd want to watch the whole film on his channel. Perhaps he doesn't have the tape anymore.
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

No worries, I'm leaving the article as it is for the moment till a second source appears, which given the rarity of the material might well be never, but there you go? If anyone out there can help with this, even if you don't have a copy of EL DESPERTAR DEL DIABLO but can resolve this either way, please do get in contact!
The Aluminum Falcon

EvilDeadChainsaws wrote:I've already asked the uploader about getting a better quality version or even borrowing his VHS tape to do a transfer myself, but no no avail. Sent it in Spanish & English but no reply? A real shame as I've never seen this version anywhere else. That would make an excellent alternate DVD version! This site's webmasters (James & I/Rob) are already thinking about a follow up DVD... containing rare Evil Dead II material.
That's odd that he doesn't respond. It did admittedly take him awhile to respond to me, but it's strange he wouldn't respond at all. This really is a unique version with curious inserts. I wonder if the studio that currently owns Evil Dead (Lionsgate?) has access to a broadcast tape of the TV cut or the English audio for the deleted scenes; otherwise, this may be a very rare find indeed.

Your idea for a DVD version sounds admittedly fantastic! You would indeed make a great follow up DVD. It would actually be great to see this cut with an audio option utilizing the mono English soundtrack for the portions still in theatrical cut and Spanish audio with subtitles for the new/extended portions... Of course, you could instead dub a good Campbell impersonator for the extended portions. :D
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

I'm still looking for a source on this to start my Evil Dead II Treasures Collection project. I can't really see the point without it.

I think presenting this version in it's entirety, or editing the footage together with the Open-Matte DVD version (why not use the new Blu-Ray transfer? see http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/evi ... 2_dvd.html ) would be an excellent start. In addition I've thought about adding a BBFC edits sequence as I did with my Book Of The Dead DVD, maybe edit some deleted scenes, and include some of the other Evil Dead II specific bits from my personal collection - http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/col ... sonal.html
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I would also agree with Evil James, having viewed it all on Youtube this evening. As pointed out, the fact that it's exactly 10 minutes indicates it's just missing from the upload.

It would be great to try and find another recording from Mexico to confirm it one way or the other.

Just want to say that I love the website. Evil Dead 2 was one of the very first horror films I saw back in the late 80's and it's always been a firm favourite, then and now.

Looking forward to the write up on your trip to the cabin in the woods :D
vhstape

Post by vhstape »

What's new ?
I contacted a guy named : Fernando López Montaño (Youtube)
I asked when he will upload the hd version of the tv version and where he got the copy.

His answer (help me, I don't understand) : HELLO FRIEND MUT SOON DUE TO TIME BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DESPAIR AND WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS VERSION I HAVE drwhoreturns HD IS MINE THAT EXCEEDS THE VERSION OF THIS USER OK GREETINGS

:lol:
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

His answer (help me, I don't understand) : HELLO FRIEND MUT SOON DUE TO TIME BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DESPAIR AND WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS VERSION I HAVE drwhoreturns HD IS MINE THAT EXCEEDS THE VERSION OF THIS USER OK GREETINGS
I have no idea, I got a similarly poorly translated reply too!