The Evil Dead and the Rise of the Video Nasties (Brighton UK

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

The Evil Dead and the Rise of the Video Nasties (Brighton UK

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

Hi all, Rob here from BookOfTheDead.ws. Just want to let everyone know about a showing of The Evil Dead in Brighton at 1pm on October the 28, 2012.

This special event marks thirty years since the rise of the video nasties. Following a rare cinema screening of The Evil Dead, a panel of guests will discuss the horror classic’s impact and the video nasty phenomenon. The guests are the British Board of Film Classification’s Senior Examiner Craig Lapper, Empire Magazine’s Chris Hewitt and Ben Wheatley, director of the highly acclaimed 2011 film, Kill List.

I did see The Evil Dead last year at the Prince Charles Cinema in London, but that was a Blu-Ray digital projection. Going to the cinema and paying £10 to sit and watch a Blu-Ray is a bit of a swizz! Anyway checked with the Event organiser Wayne (Phone: 07932 981 028 / Email: wayne@soundstageevents.co.uk) who told me it was a proper 35mm print. That's strange as I was told by Paul Vickery, head of PR, Marketing & Events at the Prince Charles Cinema on the 21st of June 2012 that; Sadly there are no 35mm prints of Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2 in the UK, but we have managed to source a 35mm print of Army Of Darkness. So there you go?

Anyway I'll be there and you can book tickets for £9 each at the following website;
http://www.soundstage.thespace.uk.com
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Re: The Evil Dead and the Rise of the Video Nasties (Brighto

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

HEADS UP FOR ALL ATTENDEES;

I checked with the event organiser Wayne when I booked my tickets a few weeks back if this would be a digital projection, or a proper 35mm print. I was assured twice that it was a 35mm print. I've seen a digital projection before and wasn't going to drive from London to Brighton to see another one. I want to see it at least once in my life on the big screen in 35mm. I called the cinema itself today just to check on local parking, and also asked them the same question only to be told by the projectionist that it WAS a digital projection. Okay, a DCP projection, but still.

Anyway I called Wayne, who called the manager, and it seems due to a mix-up Wayne was told that it was a 'print', which is clearly not a DCP, but it is what it is, and got my money refunded.

So it's a digital projection NOT 35mm. I also checked with BFI Southbank who are also showing The Evil Dead tomorrow at 9pm, but that's a DCP as well.

Ho hum!
Kyle

Re: The Evil Dead and the Rise of the Video Nasties (Brighto

Post by Kyle »

At least you found out before you drove out there.

I'm sure someone will source a nice 35mm someday, hopefully in the correct aspect ratio. That will be a great day indeed!