Retro (8/16bit) Console Gaming

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Retro (8/16bit) Console Gaming

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

Anyone out there a fan of retro (8/16bit) Console gaming? Being 29 now, I was very much of the tail end of the Atari 2600 & Spectrum ZX (which my brother owned) but I did buy a Vic 20, a Amstrad CPC 464+, a Master System, a SNES and a Playstation 1 as they all came out. I can remember saving up and buying the newly released SNES package (with FX chip!!) which came with Starwing for the vast price of £129.99(!)

About a year or so back I went on a nostalgia trip and bought myself a SNES and a PS1, with many of the games I remembered. Surprisingly, the PS1 cost me the princely sum of £14.88 on Ebay including 2 controllers, 14 games, and postage, what a bargain! I did have to buy some of the games I really wanted, separately though;
  • Evil Dead: Hail To The King
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Tekken 2, Grand Theft Auto, and Loaded are on my 'to buy' list, to get at some point too.

The SNES was more expensive than the PS1 as now it has become something of a collectors item. I decided to go the extra mile and customise a proper metal flight case for it as well (see attached image). Here are all the games I have for it;
  • Addams Family
  • Addams Family 2: Pugleys Scavenger Hunt
  • Addams Family Values
  • Alien 3
  • Another World
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Flashback
  • Lost Vikings
  • Mr Nutz
  • Sim City
  • Super Mario World/All Stars
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter 2 Turbo
  • Zelda: Link To The Past
  • Zombie Ate My Neighbours
I also got a Super Game Boy allowing me to play Game Boy Games on my SNES, and bought two games on the strength of their SNES counterparts; Zelda: Links Awakening (brilliant) and Metroid II (pretty poor). Super Metroid and Zelda: Link To The Past have to be my all time favourite games. I'm sure many would disagree, but I've always been of the opinion that either of them would whip most next-gen games hands down in terms of playability.

PhilippB

Re: Retro (8/16bit) Console Gaming

Post by PhilippB »

Nice collection you got there.
Your post just made me really nostalgic :(.
Haha quite sad if you're in your early 20's and already start think of the good ol' times :lol:.

I still have my SNES with maaanyyy games. I would never even think about selling any of my consoles - despite the fact that i would get like 1:100 of the money i spent.
My first console ever, the sega mega drive, still accompanys me on my yearly winter-ski-vacation.
Eddie_Cougar

Post by Eddie_Cougar »

The first console I owned was a Sega Genesis. I've only recently gotten back into retro gaming. Now that I have a job and most old school consoles can be purchased on the cheap, I can finally play all the exclusives I missed out on during my youth. Here's some of my stuff.

Snes and a clone console that plays Sega Genesis and Nes games

Retro Gen Adapter allows you to play Genesis games on a Snes

Snes games plus Super Mario 3

Genesis games

Thanks a lot Jim
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Eddie_Cougar wrote:The first console I owned was a Sega Genesis. I've only recently gotten back into retro gaming. Now that I have a job and most old school consoles can be purchased on the cheap, I can finally play all the exclusives I missed out on during my youth. Here's some of my stuff.
Great collection. I missed out consoles nearly entirely but I'm a retrogamer and when I'll had a chance I want to purchase some real console stuff in my collection...
Eddie_Cougar wrote:Thanks a lot Jim
Wait, Atari's E.T.? Jim?.. :shock: :o
Eddie_Cougar

Post by Eddie_Cougar »

I also have a PS2, PS3, X-Box, and X-Box 360, but those consoles aren't quite old enough to be considered retro. What consoles do you own, Kloga?
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Eddie_Cougar wrote:I also have a PS2, PS3, X-Box, and X-Box 360, but those consoles aren't quite old enough to be considered retro. What consoles do you own, Kloga?
Unfortunately, yet to find one to start the collection. Using emulators, as of now. :(
I've owned a broken Chinese Sega Mega Drive clone for some time, but it wasn't even functional. :( I'm also collecting LCD games (which I really like for some reason) and I really like old DOS games.