Alien Score 1979 (Howard Hanson - Symphony No.2, 'Romantic')

Moderators: Evil James, EvilDeadChainsaws

EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Alien Score 1979 (Howard Hanson - Symphony No.2, 'Romantic')

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

The classical piece from the end titles to Alien (1979) is probably my favourite track from the whole film. It's actually excerpts From Symphony No.2, 'Romantic', a piece composed by Howard Hanson and first performed in 1930.

Try as I might, I couldn't find this on any of the official or bootleg scores out there. I did find a few on YouTube, but they just seemed to be a 3 minute section of the full 13m 41s Symphony crudely chopped out, although if you compare the full Symphony and the movie's audio side-by-side on a première timeline, they don't sync up. There's also one bootleg score; the 'Nostromo Enterprises Edition', which might well have this, but has long since dropped offline due to the MegaUpload fiasco.

Anyway, I loaded both the CD & DVD into première and had to chop the Symphony up into 10 sections to sync every part up, then mix between them to make it all seamless. My mix starts from the point at which the Alien is blown out of the spaceship's plasma vents, through to the end credits, which means about half the track is repeated towards the end.

Alien_Score_-_End_Title_(Howard_Hanson_-_Excerpts_From_Symphony_No.2,_'Romantic').mp3.zip

It's 320k VBR LAME MP3, enjoy!
Kloga

Re: Alien Score 1979 (Howard Hanson - Symphony No.2, 'Romant

Post by Kloga »

EvilDeadChainsaws wrote:It's 320k VBR LAME MP3, enjoy!
Enjoyed it, thanks for the great music. :)
By the way, I think, situation with the charlston music in "The Evil Dead" is similar, though in this case we, at least know what composer it is and what is the name of a music - basic information which helps to find the orognal source and recreate a bootled soundtrack for the film. I've searched for a long time but didn't found nothing on who composed the charlston, but I'm pretty sure it's not LoDuca's original piece... :?
The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Thanks for the Alien music; I love that movie, and I've never been able to find that track in that good quality.
Kloga wrote: I've searched for a long time but didn't found nothing on who composed the charlston, but I'm pretty sure it's not LoDuca's original piece... :?
Kloga, I found a version of the Charleston at the end of Evil Dead in this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wo5t5YurM
According to the uploader's description, it was composed by Erik Markman. I'm not positive if this is true though.
EvilDeadChainsaws
Site Admin

Post by EvilDeadChainsaws »

The information you're after is already on the main website, see 'The Jazz/Ragtime Track' section of the following page;

http://www.bookofthedead.ws/website/the ... score.html
Kloga

Post by Kloga »

Kloga wrote: I've searched for a long time but didn't found nothing on who composed the charlston, but I'm pretty sure it's not LoDuca's original piece... :?
Kloga, I found a version of the Charleston at the end of Evil Dead in this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wo5t5YurM
According to the uploader's description, it was composed by Erik Markman. I'm not positive if this is true though.[/quote]
I've seen some YouTube videos which featured soundtrack as "traditional jazz". Anyway, great thanks, at least we've got a version now.